The history of 209 Merriman traces back to the year 1917. At that time, 209 Merriman was occupied for the first time as a private residence by Mrs. Eleanor Gibbs.
In 1935 this residence would be given to a group of philanthropically inclined individuals to be operated as a home for older adults. The charitable organization that provided these services was called Sumner Home for the Aged. Over the following years additions would be made to the residence to provide for care and services to an ever-increasing number of older adults.
On November 30, 2003, Sumner Home moved their residents and staff to a new campus community ending their involvement with 209 Merriman Road. The following day The Merriman would begin operating from the same location as a profit making nursing home.
In an effort to build on the spirit of philanthropy that was such a part of Sumner Home, a new 501 (c) 3 organization was formed in the fall of 2007. Known as The Merriman Good Life Foundation, this organization was created to continue the philanthropic legacy long associated with this storied Akron address.
The following individuals serve as un-paid, volunteer trustees of The Merriman Good Life Foundation:
- Don Robart
- Todd Fulmer
- Rich Horning
- Tammy Bennett
- Brenda Johnson
- Patti Kagafas
- Kevin McMahon